Sunday, November 30, 2008

Framework - plans taking shape

So I had some time off this week, being Thanksgiving and all, so I had a chance to get to the metal yard and pick up what I needed to start my frame work. I picked up some steel tubing, mostly 2×4 and 2×6 with some plate as well. I think I will need to head back there again shortly to pick up some more stuff. Anyway, I got to work on the first part.

The rear crossmember. Rusted out and bent, it needed to be replaced. In addition to that I also needed to get the rusted bumper bolts out of the frame. So I went to work.

The rear crossmember is 50 inches and so when I got the metal I made sure to have them cut it to specification. It worked out perfectly.

With some prepping and my welder all warmed up it went in perfectly. Though you can’t see it, there are 4 bumper bolts that I had to remove from the frame. They were a royal pain.

My plan is to run a trailing arm rear suspension, simliar to nascar and so I will need to stiffen up the center of the car as well as take care of some of the rust issues. I plan on cutting out the center member hump, once I get every other brace welded in and the arms positioned. For now though, I have the center pieces in place. It reall stiffens up the frame.

Eventually I will have a 2×4 cross member running width-wise connecting the two outside rails and used as a locating piece for the front of the arms and I will probably run plate along the inside of the frame as well.

No comments: